With the advancement of technology in the new age and the double dependence on electronic tools, exposure to all kinds of screens has become inevitable. Meanwhile, the emergence of the Covid-19 virus epidemic and the virtualization of training and other professional activities have increased the use of electronic devices and screens. Among regular users of screens, the staggering number of children has raised the concerns of many parents. Some experts believe that children should not be exposed to screens as much as possible, but others believe that their limited use is not prohibited. The fact is that the use of screens by children can also have beneficial results. There are many programs available today to improve children's reading, writing, and comprehension skills that can only be used by continuous exposure to screens.
From the screens by children. Join us.
Is there a specific time period for children to use the screens?
- children 18 months or younger: These children should not be exposed to any type of screen as much as possible To take. However, the very limited use of cell phones to make video calls to children with whom children are emotionally dependent is not prohibited.
- children aged 18 months to 2 years: Limited use of Screens have no problem with educational purposes. Note that children in this age group should not be exposed to screens alone. Parental or adult supervision of children's use of electronic devices is essential.
- children 2 to 5 years old: With adult supervision, one hour of screen use during the day is sufficient.
- children 6 to 8 years old: At this age, children can spend more time using the screens. However, adults should devote a certain amount of time to the use of electronic devices and ensure that other aspects of children's lives are fully addressed. A noteworthy point about using screens in this age group is that the likelihood of becoming addicted to electronic devices is extremely high, so caution is doubly necessary. Keep in mind that improper use of screens can seriously damage children's memory and speech and behavioral development.
- 5 benefits and 6 disadvantages of smartphones for children
What dimensions of children's improper use of screens affect children's development?
Uncontrolled use of screens, in addition to alienating children from their surroundings and family, can cause irreparable damage to various aspects of children's mental and psychological development. These dimensions are briefly described below.
- Speech development: One of the most important developmental aspects of children's minds is speech development, which allows them to meet their needs. Express verbally. This type of evolution is directly related to the ability to express emotions physically. Before gaining verbal ability, children should be able to meet their needs by shaking hands, pointing, and making eye contact. Improper use of screens has a very negative effect on this dimension of evolution.
- Reading evolution: This type of evolution refers to the ability to read words and repeat them. This is more complex after evolution than speech evolution. In other words, healthy speech development is a basic prerequisite for going through the stages of reading development. In the case of uncontrolled use of screens, reading evolution faces major problems, as this type of evolution depends on face-to-face communication, and the use of screens reduces the opportunity for this type of communication.
- Speech language development: The foundations of expressive language development are based on children's effective and intimate communication with parents and adults. The most important aspect of this development is that children have the opportunity to communicate directly with adults. children need to be able to communicate with others and learn effective ways to communicate effectively through trial and error and by imitating their behaviors. If the duration of use If screens are not controlled, children will not find opportunities for trial and error and will have major problems in later stages of development.
In addition, scientific studies have shown that exposure to screens can lead to In the long run, it reduces children's ability to read books significantly compared to their peers. Uncontrolled use of screens is also directly related to decreased attention span, aggression in children, increased risk of depression and anxiety disorders in older ages, and delayed opening of children's tongues.
- Safe and principled ways to improve children's brain development
3 ways to control How long children use their screens
Sometimes their parents' worries and anxieties overwhelm them To expose their children to different screens. In these cases, you need to think of ways to control the duration of their use. Here are three effective solutions for this purpose.
1. Eat meals in the presence of all family members without the involvement of electronic devices
Eating meals in the presence of all family members has many benefits, the most important of which is to strengthen emotional relationships between members and reduce dependence on external factors . Eating away from electronic distractions is recommended for people of all ages, but it's doubly important for children. If children are in the developmental stages of speech or reading, take the time to eat meals to talk and communicate effectively with them. Keep in mind that direct communication between parents and children makes the word processing process in their brain smoother.
2. Watch TV
Try to accompany the children as much as possible while watching TV. Observance of this principle is especially necessary in relation to children under 5 years old. Accompanying children to watch TV and use screens shows them that this is just a hobby and should not be overused. At the end of the TV time, ask the children to turn off the TV. In this way, you show them that they play an active role in using the screens and watching their favorite programs and have the right to comment.
3. Avoid all kinds of screens when you sleep
The bedroom is a place to rest and relax after a busy day. As a parent, try to be a good role model for your habits and do not use screens while sleeping. In this regard, do not expose children to the screens of mobile phones and tablets until they are 5 years old. Keep in mind that easy access for children to these electronic devices can lead to mood swings later on when they quit.
Establish extremely strict rules regarding the use of screens Different is not realistic. However, by continuing to try to eliminate destructive habits, their use can be significantly reduced. children under the age of 8 are constantly learning new things and developing stages that prepare their minds for life in the future. For this reason, exposure to different types of screens can cause many problems for their evolution. Try to monitor children's use of electronic devices directly and prevent malicious habits.This is for educational and informational purposes only. Be sure to consult an expert before using the recommendations in this article. For more information, read the BingMag Meg Disclaimer .
Source: Verywellfamily <// a>