Life is full of obvious and hidden truths that we cannot prevent. Art, and cinema in particular, can be both a means of reflecting these inevitable truths and a way of escaping or softening it. After all, imagination is the only realm that allows us to shape life the way we want and reduce its bitterness, at least to some extent. Black comedy is one of the genres in cinema that aims to do just that; Mitigating the bitterness of life's sufferings. If you are one of those people who likes to laugh at pain, or has a situation where you need to do so, this genre can be helpful. Any film that overcomes accepted relationships or taboos such as rape and violence, or touches on bitterness such as death or war, can be included in this genre with humor and a reckless look. Together with Digitica Magazine, we take a look at some of the highlights of the political comedy genre, based on Rotten Tomatoes rankings.
1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned
to Stop Fear and Love the Bomb
(Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the
- Product 1964
- Director : Stanley Kubrick
- Actors : Peter Sellers
- Synopsis: What happens if someone presses the wrong button? Jack De Ripper (Peter Sellers), a psychiatric general in the US Air Force, orders a nuclear attack on the Soviet Union and sends his bomber to destroy it. He is under the illusion that the communists are conspiring to poison the American man. Upon learning of this, the US president and politicians gather in the US War Command Room to find a way to stop the attacks.
Into what world to enter. The end of the film coincides with the end of the world; Years before we were involved in the apocalypse. Kubrick's prophetic film received five Academy Award nominations, but was more to the liking of the British and won two BAFTAs. Peter Sellers plays three roles in this film.
2. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Who is Afraid of Virginia Woolf? strong> 1966 Production
3. The Death of Stalin
- Product > 2017
- Director : Armando Yanucci
- Actors : Adrian McLaughlin, Jeffrey Tamber, Steve Buscemi
This political comedy is based on a sequel to the French comic book. (La Mort de Staline), which both garnered critical acclaim and was nominated for numerous international awards. Of course, Russia and Kyrgyzstan did not allow the film to be released because they believed it had ridiculed the history of the countries and their leaders.
- Product 1996/li>
- Director : Joel and Ethan Coen
- Actors : Francis McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormar, William H. Macy)
- Synopsis: The crime drama "Fargo" is based on a real incident that happened in 1987 in Minnesota. Jerry Lundgard (William H. Macy) is a car dealer in Minneapolis who owes a fortune. He needs so much money that he hires two thugs (Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormar) to kidnap his wife so that he can extort money from his rich father-in-law (Harrow Staff). He intends to pay only a small portion to the thugs he hires and keep the rest to pay off his debts. The plot fails when the two thugs shoot a soldier.
The Coen brothers specialize in black comedy; "Where Are You Brother?", "Barton Fink", "Inside Levin Davis" and "Raising Arizona" are some of the two brothers' most popular black comedy. But the most famous of these is the Middle Eastern American criminal comedy. Joel Cohen won the Cannes Palme d'Or for Best Director for the film, which was nominated for a Palme d'Or. The film was both commercially successful and critically acclaimed, especially for its directing and screenwriting, as well as the role-playing of Francis McDormand, for which he won the first Academy Award for Best Actress. The Oscar for Best Screenplay went to the Coen brothers.
5. Do the Right Thing
- Product <1989
- Director : Spike Lee
- Actors : Danny Ilo, Giancarlo Esposito, Steve Park, Spike Lee, Samuel Al Jackson
- Synopsis: Cell (Danny Ilo), a Brooklyn
pizzeria owner, hangs pictures of Italian actors on one of the
walls of his shop. A resident of the neighborhood protests when he
sees that no famous black person is among the photos. He believes a
pizzeria in a black neighborhood should display photos of black
actors on its celebrity wall, but TB does not. The same
disagreement at the beginning of their conflict and the Wall of
Fame is a symbol of their racism and hatred and that of the people
of the neighborhood. Faced with critical acclaim, he was nominated
for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor and Best Screenplay
in only two categories, but did not receive an award.
- Product 1988/li>
- Director : Michael Lehman
- Actors : Winona Ryder, Kristin Slater, Shannon Doherty, Lisane Falk, Kim Walker
- Synopsis : Veronica (Winona Ryder) is a member of the most popular high school group, but does not endorse the other girls' cruel behavior. Veronica and her friend Jedi (Christian Slater), the group's leader, accidentally poison Heather Chandler (Kim Walker) and make her look like a suicide. Veronica soon realizes that Jedi is killing the intent of students she does not like. He tries to stop Jedi, while also engaging with the group's new leader, Heather Duke (Shenn Doherty).
A film written by Daniel Waters out of respect for "Dr. Strange Love believed he wanted to direct Stanley Kubrick. Unlike the teen films of the time, this film has a pessimistic view of the American high school scene and is at the top of the list of the best black comedy movies. Both the musical is based on this film and the TV series.
7. Sorry to bother you (Sorry to Bother You)
- Product < 2018
- Director : Boots Riley
- Actors : Kate Stanfield
- Synopsis: Cassius Green (Kate Stanfield) is a
young black man working in telemarketing. To succeed in his work,
he speaks in a white accent. As Green progresses in his career, his
friends and colleagues protest against the tyranny of companies. .
Criticism of capitalism and racism in American society is one of
the topics that has attracted the attention of the American public
and properties in recent years.
8. The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Product strong> 2014
- Director : Wes Anderson
- Actors : Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton, Adrienne Brody, Edward Norton, Willem Defoe
- Synopsis: In the 1930s, the Grand Hotel Budapest is a popular European ski slope run by Gustav H. (Ralph Fiennes). The Padua boy becomes Gustav's friend and protector. Gustav prides itself on providing first-class services to hotel guests, including meeting the needs of older women staying at the hotel. When one of Gustav's lovers dies mysteriously, he inherits a worthless painting and is the prime suspect in the murder of the woman.
The stranger has a hidden set of stars. The main character of the film is said to be taken from a mutual friend of Anderson and his longtime colleague, Hugo Guinness. Academy Awards nominated nine people for the acclaimed Anderson film, but won only four awards in categories such as Best Costume Design, Best Makeup, Best Soundtrack and Best Stage Design.
9 . Trainspotting
- Product 1996/li>
- Director : Danny Boyle
- Actors : Evan McGregor, John Lee Miller, Kelly MacDonald
- Some young people addicted to heroin in the late 1980s, in the midst of the economic crisis in Edinburgh, live between making the wrong decisions and trying to stay awake. The protagonist of the film, Mark Renton (Ivan McGregor), is a carefree, intelligent, and funny young man who, along with funny friends, liars, thieves, and many other mentally ill people, wanders into poverty and inevitably goes to ruin.
Danny Boyle's drama, based on the novel of the same name by Arvin Welch, is on the list of the top 100 British films of the twentieth century and is considered by critics to be one of the best films of the 1990s. In 2004, it was named the best Scottish film in a poll. The acclaimed film received two nominations for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay for BAFTA for John Hodge, the latter of which went to Hodge.
10. The Producers
- Product 1967
- Director : Mel Brooks
- Actors : Zero Mostel, Nathan Lane, Jane Wilder
- A failed Broadway producer named Max Bialistack (Zero Mostel) seduces wealthy old women to fund his shows. Leo Bloom (Jane Wilder), a hysterical and unscrupulous accountant, finds in a simple account and book that Bialystok made $ 2,000 more than he needed for his show. Bloom says that no matter how much money you make for a failed show, because there is no profit, no one supports it. Bialystack thinks of Bakri, staging another failed play and raising $ 1 million for it.
Mel Brooks won Best Screenplay for her first directing experience. Get the movie. Later, a musical based on this film was staged and a movie was made based on this musical. The film became controversial and controversial from the outset, as it deals with Adolf Hitler and Nazism. Of course, it gradually became a cult film and attracted positive reviews from critics.
11. Promising Young Women
- Product > 2020
- Director : Emerald Fennel
- Actors : Carrie Mulligan
- Synopsis : Casey Thomas (Carrie Mulligan) is a 30-year-old former medical student who dropped out of college and works in a caf. He lives with his parents, Stanley and Susan. Years ago, Casey's classmate El Monroe raped his best friend and classmate, Nina Fisher. But neither the school had done any research on this, nor did it have any legal consequences for him. Casey pretends to be drunk in front of clubs and cafes at night, forcing men to take him home, and when they try to abuse him, he reveals his sober face and embarrasses them. Casey keeps track of their number. He makes an appointment with Ryan, a former classmate, and tells him that El is getting married. Casey plots revenge on El and others who sponsored his escape.
Attracted critics as well as members of the Academy Awards. Of course, members of the academy considered only Emerald Phenol worthy of an award for a screenplay.
- Product 1985 Director: Martin Scorsese>
- Synopsis: Paul Hackett (Griffin Don) meets a woman named Marcy (Razana Arquette) in a cafe in Manhattan and they talk about literature. Later in the night, Paul wants to take a taxi to Marseille's house in the city center. His $ 20 bill falls out of the car window, and when he can't pay the taxi fare, he is involved in a series of surreal and bizarre events with a world of characters. He spends the rest of the night trying to get back to the top of the city.
Tim Burton I was supposed to direct the film, but Scorsese accepted the responsibility for purely economic reasons, and ironically , Also won him the Best Director Award. "After Office Hours" is one of the works of the black comedy genre, which is considered a cult film and attracted the attention of critics because of its humorous black look.
13. World's Greatest Dad
- Product 2009
- Director : Bobcat Colwitt
- Actors : Robin Williams
- Synopsis : When the son of English high school
teacher Lance Clayton (Robin Williams) accidentally kills himself,
Clayton writes a fake suicide note to escape the scandal. The
school, which is initially unaware of the suicide, gets its
attention after the letter is published in the school magazine.
Lance also writes a diary in hopes of gaining the literary fame he
has always pursued. The result is both fame and sedition. And
Lawrence receives the attention he has always dreamed of. But he
finds that it is easier to keep his life calm in writing than in
practice. Of course, he was not very successful at the box office,
but he was able to arouse the positive opinion of critics.
Audiences will love Robin Williams in every film, and his unusual
subject matter, in contrast to the public image of a father, adds
to the film's appeal.
- Product 2015
- Director : George Lantimos
- Actors : Colin Farrell, Rachel Weiss
- Synopsis: In the nightmarish future, singles will have to find a partner within forty-five days; And if they do not succeed during this time, they become animals and leave them in the forest. The male protagonist (Colin Farrell) and the female protagonist (Rachel Wise) are trying to build a relationship.
Lantimus' apocalyptic surreal film won the Cannes Jury Prize. But if you have not yet watched the movie and you want to put it on your list, be careful not to be too emotional. If you are ready to witness a pessimistic view of romantic relationships, you can endure the "crab".
15. Seven Psychopaths
- Product 2012
- Director : Martin McDonagh
- Actors : Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken
- Synopsis: Marty, an alcoholic writer, is looking to write a screenplay; He has a good and interesting title in mind, but he does not have a story. Marty has a bunch of friends, Hans (Christopher Walken) and Bailey (Sam Rockwell) who make their living by stealing the dogs of rich people and then returning them and receiving rewards. But once the dog of a gangster (Woody Harrelson) is kidnapped, things get tough and Marty uses a chain of events that happens after his friends' misfortune in his script.
Martin's second collaboration Playwright McDonough (director here, of course) with Colin Farrell has won one of the best black comedy films of all time for his cinema and fans after "In Bruges" with his collection of beloved stars. The film did not win many awards, but it did receive critical acclaim.
Source : Cosmopolitan