“Dual” movie; A black comedy about meeting a twin (what to see?)

"Twin" is a complex category that often creates ontological questions and is always associated with philosophy, history, literature, biology (cloning) and even mental disorders such as schizophrenia. has been in communication. Several films in recent decades have exclusively dealt with this idea, and almost most of these works provide a platform for the discussion about identity, individuality and, in general, "what is a human being". In the same way, the movie "Dual" is not an exception to this rule, although it tries to go in a different direction. For lovers of "Godfather" and Hollywood studios

BingMag.com “Dual” movie; A black comedy about meeting a twin (what to see?)

"Twin" is a complex category that often creates ontological questions and is always associated with philosophy, history, literature, biology (cloning) and even mental disorders such as schizophrenia. has been in communication. Several films in recent decades have exclusively dealt with this idea, and almost most of these works provide a platform for the discussion about identity, individuality and, in general, "what is a human being". In the same way, the movie "Dual" is not an exception to this rule, although it tries to go in a different direction. For lovers of "Godfather" and Hollywood studios

The word twin was first used by the famous German novelist "Jean Paul" at the end of the 18th century, but it actually existed centuries before that (for example, in Ancient Egyptians considered the soul to be the cognate of the body). Later, twinning became a popular narrative technique in literature, and writers used it to explore human duality and the dark personality dimensions of the characters in the story. For example, in the story "Shadow" by Hans Christian Andersen, the shadow of the main character separates from him and gradually becomes his twin. This shadow, which is the opposite of the hero of the story in terms of morals and thinking, eventually takes his place.

BingMag.com “Dual” movie; A black comedy about meeting a twin (what to see?)

In the novel "Devil's Elixir", "Ernst Hoffmann" tells the story of a man who kills his family, but it is his twin who is arrested and executed. "Vladimir Nabokov" in the novel "Despair" tells the story of a man who accidentally meets a homeless man who is his twin. But the most famous literary example should be considered the novel "Twin" written by Fyodor Dostoevsky, which tells the story of Galyadkin, who one day meets a man who looks exactly like him. They become good friends until Galiadkin's twin decides to take over his life.

In the world of cinema, "The Miracle" (1912) was the first film in which the twin idea appeared. Among the works of recent years, we can mention "Ma" (2019), "Gemini Moon Man" (2019), "Enemy" (2013) and even "Prestige" (2006). Double is the latest film that deals with this theme, with the difference that it offers black comedy and satirical elements along with psychological elements to spice up the atmosphere a little.

BingMag.com “Dual” movie; A black comedy about meeting a twin (what to see?)

Some of the shots of the film are reminiscent of the works of "Roy Andershon".

The story takes place in a world where It is not far from the current modern world, but it has a special difference, the technology of "human cloning" has reached the level of perfection and humanity has accepted it. According to the law, if someone suffers from an incurable disease, he can create his twin by paying a fee to replace him after his death (interestingly, due to the high cost of the cloning process, it is the twin himself that must pay the costs after the death of the original person) accept). The goal is that families no longer experience the sadness of losing their loved ones, and sick people die more safely.

"Sara" is a depressed, introverted and passive girl who no longer has a special relationship with her mother. His wife also avoids him and only pretends to care about him. Sara has not felt happy for a long time, she has nightmares, she has no sense of life and the world around her, and she prefers to distance herself from her mental and emotional problems with alcoholic drinks. But one day the situation gets worse, he finds out that he has a fatal disease and the doctors say that there is a 98% chance that he will die, that 2% is the margin of error! In other words, he has no chance to survive.

BingMag.com “Dual” movie; A black comedy about meeting a twin (what to see?)

They suggest Sarah consider the twin idea, and she does, having no other choice. Hamzad arrives and is tutored by Sarah, meets his wife and mother, and prepares to take over her life, but things don't go as planned. The initial idea of the film is very similar to "Swan Song" (2021) by Benjamin Cleary. In Swan Song, Cameron Turner is also diagnosed with an incurable disease and is offered to replace himself with a clone, a difficult decision that challenges Cameron and his family. That sci-fi film took its story seriously and presented a tragic narrative, but the duo refuses to dramatize the events to a great extent, the film wants to remind the absurdity of "facing oneself" and does not aim to impress through emotional moments.

Riley Stearns, whose credits include "Mistakes" (2014) and "The Art of Self-Defense" (2019), is a stylistic filmmaker whose works have certain signatures, including elements of black comedy, offbeat dialogue, twists and turns. Disappointing story and robot characters. Stearns' people are not depicted as human, usually their behavior and They don't have excited reactions, they don't express their feelings, they are generally pessimistic and they are unintentionally pushed to new paths. In this regard, watching Stearns' productions may not be suitable for all tastes and may even annoy some audiences.

BingMag.com “Dual” movie; A black comedy about meeting a twin (what to see?)

Compared to similar works, Doganeh is not very interested in analyzing and scrutinizing the psyche of the main character and his twin, and has allocated the middle part to the margins to prepare the audience for the final third. But in an unexpected twist, the plot changes completely so that these funny middle parts become meaningless. However, the filmmaker's goal from the beginning has been to bring us to the point where the characters end up, where we realize the futility of everything. Gilan", are the spaces created by Riley Stearns. His normal world is imbued with magical realism and strange events are treated as normal. In a split second, Stearns switches the film from a terrifying thriller to a straightforward drama or a morbid comedy, and this shift of genres continues until the end. He has also tried to explore other themes such as preparation for death, self-image and interpersonal relationships by using the idea of twin.

Who will be interested in the movie "Double"?>If you've seen and related to Stearns' previous works, are intrigued by the idea of meeting your twin, are into dark comedies, arthouse cinema, nihilistic works or lo-fi sci-fi films, this double will satisfy you. . This independent film does not make any claims, but it is possible to discuss its messages and themes and probably reach interesting conclusions. : Riley Stearns
Actors: Karen Gillan, Aaron Paul, Theo James, Beulah Koval, Sana-Yone Hyde
IMDb user rating for the movie: 5.8 out of 10
Rotten Tomatoes rating for the movie: 70 out of 100
Product: 2022
Production and distribution: ARLGA Films

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.